February 22, 2007

Developments

I've been checking Sheila's blog, waiting to see how she's been doing. Every so often I click on one of the links she has, because they are different than mine. I like to see what other people like to read.

I clicked on the Yarn Harlot's link, and I like her. I like how she writes, what she knits. She reminds me of one of my mom's sister's (my aunts). They range between 34 and 40, there are only two of them, and I could very easily be considered either of their daughters. I look more like them than my own mother. Funny how genetics work.

But I digress. I don't think I even own a book by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, but I find her hysterical. After I read an entry titled, "Ironic" and she mentioned something about Pre-Boarding, which meant I had to know what she's talking about - I don't like being left out of the loop. In this blog, titled "Represent" I read, and almost wet my pants when the Harlot herself said she would be in New York City. Doing a book signing or talking at the Fashion Institute of Technology where 749 other knitters are (probably) going to be present and its a Thursday evening, and it's in March.

I was so excited when I read this, I practically already have arrangements made to go. There are talks of a yarn crawl and just being so close to to the city (I'm about two hours away depending on what mode of transportation you take) I can't miss this. It would be an amazing feat to see all these knitters, people just like me, gathering to listen to another knitter.

Now, I won't lie, I don't own a book by her, but the idea of gather that many knitters in one area - and then! inviting the press! I don't want to be interview or on tv or anything, it would just be fantastic to be among that many other knitters - at once!

The 5 W's:
Who: Stephanie Pearl-McPhee/Yarn Harlot
What: Book signing/general talking-to
When: March 22nd
Where: Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) in New York City
Why: To show, in human bodies that knitting is a very strong market hold as well as it is not "dead" or underpopulated. Read her post, its much more detailed than I am.


There you go, the summed up version, but if you can get to the city, you should. I will be there, armed with my camera and I will most certainly have a picture-heavy post that weekend :)

I've been diligent about getting some sweater knitting time in. I'm not saying its growing by leaps and bounds, but I'm getting some done here and there in between studying. Hospital sitting is winding down, my grandma (Granny O) came home yesterday, and I Granny-sat last night. I got perhaps a collective 3 hours of sleep, but it was worth it. She's home, and feeling better and that's what matters.

-jersey!

PS: Keep Sheila in your prayers, or whatever you do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Jersey. I am envious of your chance to see Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. I think she's hysterical, and she definitely adds much to the knitting community worldwide, and just to the world in general. She's worth admiring.