February 19, 2007

The Sweater Post.

I've been working on my sweater. I resized pictures, and I have so much to share! First, I made an M&M and if I can figure out how to make it my profile picture, I totally plan on it.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




She's got a hat! And fake Uggs! Oh goodness. The funny thing is, I tried to make her look like me - and she isn't even close. But lets talk about my sweater. Its a top down raglan, knit on size 8 Clovers which at the time I purchased all the material (LAST MARCH.) I decided to treat myself to my first pairs of wooden needles. I bought size 6 and 8 in the same length that I can't remember how long they are, and I have to tell you, I love them. The yarn is Cascade 220 and I bought 12 skeins. I should remind you, this was wayyy back when I had a job, and spare cash.

Now I'll show you some pictures interspersed with why it took me so long to get this on needles and somewhat complete.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I decided about this time last year, that I was absolutely capable of making a sweater. The entire sweater is knitting in the round, which I could do, simple ribbing and simple increases. The problem was that I was overwhelmed and I was still hooked on instant gratification. I suppose all relationships are like that at first, but I digress.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


So in late March I casted on, and I knit and purled and placed markers and increased and knit and increased and knit some more. Until I realized my increases weren't consistent, and I decided to put the sweater down and come back to it in a week when I was more patient.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


A week turned into a month which turned into a season or two and in late December, I frogged the entire thing. I had to sit in a car anyway, I might as well do something constructive. This time around, I've been very diligent about my increases, marker placement and counting. I watched Independence Day (with Will Smith) on TBS one and a half times while I counted my sweater stitches twice.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I also seem to be more patient, or at least I don't need instant gratification. As much..

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Oh those increases! They are beautiful. I can actually say I'm proud of myself and mean it. I feel as though this sweater will get done, and as long as its not 70 in October at Rhinebeck, I plan to wear it. I'm so excited about my sweater and I am absolutely definitely going to Rhinebeck this October.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I've got about ten inches done, which is less than I had when I frogged it. But I'm pleased with my progress. It is slow, but steady.


Speaking of Rhinebeck, I am a college student. I am extremely fortunate that I don't have to work during the school year, but this presents both good and bad things. The good is that I focus much more on school which is at the top of my priority list. The bad is that I am perpetually in debt. My parents are wonderful people, and it was their idea for me to quit working - nobody wants a teacher with a poor GPA. I have decided to work two jobs this summer, in order to finance my trip to Rhinebeck. I can drive their, that's not a big deal. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about Saturday night though.


I went to Rhinebeck in 2005, when I read Knitters Review people (or maybe Clara herself) talking about it. It was a Wednesday, and the festival was Saturday. I convinced my dad, his girlfriend and my best friend to go, and off we went. We only spent Saturday, but oh my goodness, it was perhaps one of the most amazing and incredible knitting related days of my life. This past October, I really wanted to go, but Dad moved to Florida along with his girlfriend, my best friend and I had a falling out, and I had no money.


This only means now that I am more determined than ever to get to Rhinebeck this year.

Oh. I'm coming :) If I have to walk.

No comments: